Friday, November 23, 2007

Home Sweet Home

I made it!! After 34 hours of traveling, I finally arrived in Nashville at 5:30 PM last night. We flew from Nairobi to London (9 hrs), London to New York (7.5 hrs), New York to Cincinnati (2.5 hours) and Cincinnati to Nashville (1 hr). Plus, we had layovers in between. And only one of my bags didn’t make it all the way through. It got left in Cincinnati and took the next flight to Nashville, and it was dropped off at my mom’s house later that night.

Andrew, my mom, my sister, my brother-n-law and my four nieces and nephews were all at the airport waiting for me. Words can’t explain how happy I was to see them all. We’re celebrating Thanksgiving today (Friday) because we were scared I wouldn’t make it in time. So instead of turkey, we had lasagna and a big Greek salad for dinner. And my friends, Elizabeth and Jake, stopped by to see me.

After taking a shower and now just using the Internet, I’ve realized how much I’ve missed strong water pressure in the shower and high speed Internet! Unforunately, I’m dealing with a bit of jetlag. It’s 4 AM (Nashville time) in the morning and I’m wide awake because my body thinks it’s 1 PM (Nairobi time). But hopefully I’ll adjust soon.

I intend to write several stories from my trip and freelance them to several different publications. Once something is published, I’ll update my blog with a link to the story.

Thank you all for reading my blog these past two months. This trip changed my life. I’ll never look at the world in the way I used to. I’ve learned so much about myself, Kenya, HIV/AIDS and the world. And I hope I’ve been able to open your eyes about a few of those things through my blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

Brian Siegel said...

Thanks for bringing awareness to such important issues! You're making tremendous impact to others lives and our world! I can relate to the "no place like home" scenerio. While studying abroad in Asia, those flights made trips to Europe and Central/South America seem like quick hops and skips. Glad you made it back safe and sound, and are taking action with such incredible causes!